The Smart Mission Ecosystem (SME) is a set of hardware, software and AI-powered algorithms to bring autonomy into demanding space missions. It supports the complete lifecycle of advanced missions from the analysis and design, through faster satellite integration thanks to the built-in algorithms, software and hardware-in-the-loop tests to the increased reliability of operations in space and the on-board data processing supported by the artificial intelligence.
“We are delighted to join the rapidly growing platform satsearch. It is a brilliant digital channel for marketing and sales that works directly with engineers developing space missions. I believe it’s the very beginning of our journey and co-creation of the NewSpace market related to the usage of the artificial intelligence in orbit” – Helena Milevych, Head of Product Development, KP Labs.
Smart Mission Ecosystem was designed with a holistic approach to enable on-board data processing on the payload and satellite level, as well as to ensure safer and more fault-tolerant missions as it brings together hardware, software and AI-powered algorithms to complete even the most demanding missions.
“Thanks to the on-board data processing, the volume of the data transmitted to the ground station could be significantly reduced, and the used algorithms could facilitate capturing relevant changes in the observed areas thanks to the capability for real-time analysis of different types of information. The information sent that way will not only shorten the reaction time to the observed phenomena, but it will also allow the end-user to acquire processed data ready for further analysis. That’s why it is crucial to make such technology available to the wide range of space experts” – Helena Milevych, Head of Product Development, KP Labs.
SME consists of Smart payload (Leopard and The Herd) and Smart satellite (Oryx, Oasis and Antelope):
- Antelope is an on-board computer that combines a Telemetry, Tracking & Command module and a data processing unit. It is the powerful heart of the satellite, responsible for satellite control and basic task performance.
- Leopard is a CubeSat standard-compliant data processing unit enabling mission designers to apply AI solutions in space. It was designed to support the capturing, managing and processing of data in orbit.
- Oasis is a single-board, CubeSat PC-104 compatible electrical ground support equipment that enables the running of a complete flight version of software on actual hardware before the subsystems are physically present.
- Oryx is a modular flight software tool developed for the mission control of small satellites. If components are not directly supported by Oryx, customers can simply extend their simulation by creating customised drivers.
- The Herd is a group of on-board AI-powered algorithms for image correction and data analysis dedicated to Earth Observation.
KP Labs is also developing its own mission Intuition-1 – a 6U-class satellite with the Leopard DPU enabling on-board data processing acquired via a hyperspectral instrument with spectral resolution in the range of visible and near-infrared light. Intuition-1 will also be equipped with modular Oryx software and a group of on-board AI-powered algorithms -The Herd.